Sex trafficking, also known as sexual exploitation, is the second largest type of exploitation in the UK and would not exist without the demand for commercial sex flourishing across the country. Sex trafficking involves recruiting, transporting, or holding a person by use of threats, coercion, deception, or abuse of position of power over those who are vulnerable, in order to sexually exploit them.
Modern slavery is a hidden crime. The nail/beauty sector provides ample opportunity for it to take place. The nail bar sector is a legitimate industry for people to work in, yet it allows, much like the car wash, for informal casual practises to take place like cash in hard and informal contracts. Many people working in plain sight in the UK nail bars are in fact suspected to be modern slaves.
Forced labour, also known as labour trafficking, is currently the most common and prevalent form of exploitation in the UK. It takes place when a person uses force or physical threats, psychological coercion, abuse of the legal process, deception, or other coercive means to compel someone to work. Forced labour often occurs when the formal sector meets the informal, hidden economy. Car washes, for example, are recognised and established industries yet they allow for informal, unofficial, and casual practises to easily take place. i.e. cash in hand.
Can You See Me? exists to bring awareness to the millions of men, women, and children who are currently trapped in slavery across the world.
Slavery is a hidden crime yet it is happening in plain sight. It’s happening in places across the UK that you and I interact with on a daily basis, such as nail bars, restaurants, and car washes. The top two types of slavery to be identified in the UK in 2016 were forced labour and sexual exploitation (NRM, 2016).
In response to recent statistics, Can You See Me? highlights these two particular types of slavery to educate members of the public on common scenarios where victims may be found. Our aim is to not only help people understand the issue but also equip them to do something about it.
By partnering with law enforcement, governments, businesses, and NGOs our goal is to turn awareness into action. We hope that through collective action, human trafficking identification and rescue will increase, thereby making it more difficult for traffickers to operate.
“The A21 Campaign has developed a powerful presentation depicting an appalling truth—
that modern slavery exists today within our communities, on our streets, and before our eyes.
Millions around the world, and thousands in the UK, are deprived of life
and liberty at the hands of evil slave masters.
Whether farm or factory, brothel or building site, car wash or cannabis farm,
we are seeing growing numbers of adults and children abused and exploited in criminal conditions.
We cannot simply watch and wait while this persists.
I hope that through this A21 initiative people will open their eyes to the
vulnerable and that together we will see victims rescued, criminals pursued, and perpetrators punished.”
1. Slavery still exists. If you suspect it, report it to the National Modern Slavery Helpline [08000 121 700]. A21.org/CanYouSeeMe
2. A slave may have been the last person to wash your car. Slavery is everywhere. Can you see it? A21.org/CanYouSeeMe #CanYouSeeMe
3. Modern slavery is a global crime that affects every nation including the UK. @A21 + #CanYouSeeMe aim to change that. A21.org/CanYouSeeMe
4. Slavery still exists. If you suspect it, report it. Check out @A21 and get involved: A21.org/CanYouSeeMe #CanYouSeeMe
5. Modern slavery is a hidden crime, yet it is happening in plain sight. Can you see it? Learn more: A21.org/CanYouSeeMe #CanYouSeeMe
1. CAN YOU SEE ME? Slavery still exists. If you suspect it, report it to the National Modern Slavery Helpline [08000 121 700]. A21.org/CanYouSeeMe #CanYouSeeMe
2. I'm joining @A21 and #CanYouSeeMe to shine a spotlight on modern slavery, a global crime that affects every continent and economic structure in the world, including the UK. If you suspect it, report it to the National Modern Slavery Helpline [08000 121 700]. Learn more: A21.org/CanYouSeeMe
3. Slavery still exists. If you suspect it, report it to the National Modern Slavery Helpline [08000 121 700]. I'm joining @A21 to do something about it. Get involved: A21.org/CanYouSeeMe #CanYouSeeMe
4. Modern slavery is a hidden crime, yet it is happening in plain sight. Can you see it? If you suspect it, report it. The National Modern Slavery Helpline [08000 121 700] is available 24 hours a day. Make a difference: A21.org/CanYouSeeMe #CanYouSeeMe